The perspective of community in behavioral health services has changed over the last several decades. It has evolved from isolation to being community-operated services.
Read the following articles from the EBSCO host database:
- Ahr, P. (2005, January). Community mental health principles: A 40-year case
study. Behavioral Health Management, 25(1), 15–17.
- Bazemore, P. (2005, July). When state hospitals were communities.
Behavioral Health Management, 25(4), 10–12.
- Oss, M. (2004, May). All roads lead to community-based care.
Behavioral Health Management, 24(2), 6.
- Edwards, D. J. (2005). The Behavioral Health Industry. Behavioral Health |
Management, 25(3), 49.
Review the articles to create a synopsis on the perspective of community in behavioral health services. In the synopsis, make sure to include the following pointers:
- Compare and contrast the differences between the isolation principles of institutional care and the present-day community-based services.
- Analyze whether community-based services provide better care and treatment for those diagnosed with persistent mental illness. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Analyze whether there is a purpose behind providing institutional care to individuals diagnosed with persistent mental illness. Provide a rationale for your response.