For the course project, you will research ONE (1) subsystem of the U.S. Healthcare System during the course of two different periods of time. The purpose of this project is to learn how the healthcare subsystem has changed and to analyze the factors that led to those changes. You are assigned Mental Health.
You will research two different 10 year periods. You are assigned the years 2004 to 2014 and may select the second 10 year period between 1960 to 1999 (i.e. 1960-69; 1970-79,etc.). Please note you are comparing the decade of your choice to 2005 to 2014.) You do not have to cover each year of the decade. You are looking at it each 10 year period as one chunk of time.
Research Table and Narrative Analysis Requirements
You must include the requirements listed below in your completed table and accompanying narrative analysis.
Mechanics: Your table should be free of spelling and grammar errors.
An appropriate length for the narrative is a minimum of 250 words.
Content: The information you present should be accurate, well organized and logical. Write clearly and concisely. The table should include the following sections:
General Climate (focus on what impacted the healthcare sub-system you selected)
1. What were the healthcare expectations of key stakeholders in the previous period? How did the perceptions of each stakeholder (listed below) drive change within the healthcare sub-system you have elected to make the focus of your table and narrative analysis?
Managed care industry
General Description of Chosen Healthcare Subsystem Compare and contrast the data of each decade to address the following information in relation to healthcare subsystem:
2. What were the expectations of the healthcare consumer with regard to the quality of care, access, financing, and lifestyle? How have they changed?
3. How has the role of the healthcare providers (i.e. administrators, physicians, and nurses) changed due to external factors (i.e. reimbursement, politics, professional organizations, and patients)?
4. What type of technology was available to consumers/healthcare organizations? How has that changed?
5. What were the concerns about the safety of patient information? How has that changed?
Where and how was healthcare delivered? How has that changed?
Reimbursement Compare and contrast the data of each decade and sub-system to address the following information in relation to reimbursement:
6. What were the various means of reimbursement in each first period and how did they change?
7. Describe the level of government intervention in the first period and explain what has changed.
8. What were three reimbursement issues? How have those changed?
Narrative Analysis: This final component should be a summary of the key points of your research. It should identify major trends, the changes that occurred between decades, the similarities between the decades, and your overall impression. What surprised you the most about the information you uncovered about that sub-system and the two decades. Have we really come that far when you take all of the information into account from one decade to another?