Imagine you are a senior US government policy adviser. The White House has asked your boss to brief them on your agency’s top policy priorities. You need to develop a comprehensive policy memo that will give your boss:
(1) the critical background information he/she needs on the issue at hand;
(2) analysis of the influence of Congress, the Judicial system, and other government agencies on the formulation and implementation of a specific policy;
(3) an evaluation of the influence that interest groups, political parties and the media have on the policy at hand;
(4) a set of options for your boss to consider regarding a path forward with all these political players (including pro’s and con’s for each option); and
(5) a recommended strategy that you want your boss to present to the White House to win support for your agency’s policy agenda.