DIPLOMACY AND THE INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM
You should choose ONE essay question from the eight listed below and construct an essay based on best academic practice. At post-graduate level you are expected to demonstrate analytic capability and to construct a fluent and logical argument.
The questions relate to the workshops and you should refer to the readings listed there as starting points.
1. Critically discuss the assertion that in the age of globalisation the importance of diplomacy is in decline.
2. To what degree can Cardinal Richelieu be considered ‘the father of modern diplomacy’?
3. What is the most important function of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the contemporary international system?
4. To what extent can the Falkland Islands War of 1982 be seen as a failure of diplomacy?
5. Does successful diplomacy rely on ‘ripe moments’? Discuss with reference to at least two case studies.
6. What is the main reason that successful multilateral diplomatic negotiations are so difficult to achieve?