This assignment reinforces information in your textbook and concepts presented in this unit. Your responses should be thorough, well-conceived college-level responses that are grammatically correct. Please write your answers in complete sentences. You must justify your responses with facts and details from the readings, with your opinions and with your conclusions and interpretations. It is recommended that you work through this assignment as you complete your reading assignment.
- With specific reference to activities found within health care organizations, describe how three departments or functional areas other than Human Resources might have evolved in a manner similar to the evolution of HR. In each instance, describe the activities that might have initially existed and then accrued to form the basis of each activity as it is known today.
- Your text identifies four categories of Human Resources activities, what are these categories? Identify and briefly explain the actions of each category.
- Describe how a Human Resources department in a health care organization might evolve through one organizational model as a department grows and matures.
- What are the primary shortcomings of reengineering as it is practiced in contemporary health care organizations? How does reengineering differ from minor modification of existing practices?
- What appears to have been the primary intended purpose of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act? Why was this legislation deemed to be necessary?
- Viewing the Family and Medical Leave Act from the perspective of a working department manager, describe the ways in which this legislation has affected a supervisor’s ability to manage.
- Provide several reasons why a department manager should be familiar with the organization’s compensation scales?
- Why is the department manager’s visibility and availability to employees considered to be important?
- What law was implemented in 1970 concerning safety within the workplace? Briefly explain this law. In general, how does this law impact an HCA? In addition, how does it impact a Human Resources manager?