Assessment one: purchasing goods
Element covered in this assessment
Unit of competency; Determine purchasing requirements.
1. access and interpret information and discuss the end product requirements with relevant personnel to ascertain goods to be purchased.
2. check and assess quality and suitability of stock on hand before proceeding with new purchases.
3. maximize use of suitable stock on hand to avoid wastage.
4. use forecasting methods to calculate required quantity of goods.
5. ascertain price limitations for the purchase of goods using job costings.
Unit of competency; Source suppliers and discuss requirements.
1. source and review potential suppliers and comply with organizational procedures for the supply of goods.
2. inform supplier of requirements and specifications.
3. confirm availability of supply to meet the production requirements.
4. seek price for the supply and negotiate costs within scope of individual responsibility and organizational policy
5. refer complex supply issues to a higher level staff member for action.
Unit of competency 3; assess quality of goods and make purchase.
1. assess supplier capacity to meet price, quality and delivery expectations.
2. complete an assessment of the quality of the goods.
3. select supplier and purchase goods based on price, availability and quality and within scope of individual responsibility and organizational policy.
4. keep accurate purchase records.
1. list the steps for the general process for determining purchasing requirements?
2. list 5examplesfor personnel across different departments in the hospitality, tourism and events industry who may need to be involved in ordering processes or when seeking approval for purchases.
3. in order to identify which ingredients are required for your restaurant, you need to approach which personnel? Briefly explain your answer.
4. describe how you would determine the quantity of meals to serve within a hospitality business? Give a detailed example of how you would do this using a hospitality business scenario.
5. what is the definition of a ‘quality stock supplier’? what attributes determine whether a supplier is suitable or a good fit for your restaurant? Provide at least five(5) indicators of quality.
6. provide 3 examples for documentation which could form the basis for identifying purchasing requirements and specifications in a hospitality or events business.
7. assume you are catering for 50 quests for a convention in a hotel, each interested in 3 course option (entrée, main meal and dessert). Based on this brief, what forecasting method would you use to calculate the quantity of required ingredients nd the space needed? Assume you serve fixed food for all heads? Provide an example for your food options and make your forecast.
8. provide an outline of how you would cost the meals in question 7? What do you suggest the selling price would be?
9. what procedures should your firm have in place to find and keep the right suppliers?
10. list 3 procedures which must be followed to identify stock on hand before ordering to avoid wastage.
11. list and provide a brief example of 4 forecast tools which can be used to estimate the anticipated amounts of purchases.
12. how do job costings directly affect price limitations? Which details need to be included in job costings for different sectors in the hospitality or event industry?
13. which details must be considered for the following key sectors when developing purchase lists?
14. which details need to be considered for the following factors before selecting a supplier?
15. In the context of hospitality, how do you ascertain the quality of goods purchased? Please name for five ingredients with their qualities.
16. List 3 key aspects for providing precise specifications to suppliers when ordering products.
17. List 4 aspects which need to be considered to ensure sufficient supply provisions and stability of prices for goods.
18. how should you deal with price changes at short notice and requirements for negotiating prices?
19. provide 3 examples for procedures which could be used to check on the quality standard of goods from a potential supplier.
20. Explain the features of the following stock control documentation
Stock transfer form-